Student Violins – Stentor Vs. Forenza

With both brands being extremely popular among students, we are often asked why there is a price difference between Stentor and Forenza violins and what sets them apart. In a nutshell, both brands make high quality student specification violins. The difference in price comes from one company being a well-established brand with some manufacturing differences and the other a relative newcomer trying to establish itself in the market.

Stentor are the market leaders in the manufacture of student string instruments. They are a British company established in 1895 and with a wholly owned factory in China. They are well known for their good tone and consistent quality. They have 3 levels of student violin, the Stentor Standard, Stentor I and Stentor II. Whilst the Standard model is acceptable to start on, most teachers would recommend the Stentor I as a minimum.

3057The Forenza Prima 2 Violin (available in different sizes), has also got a fantastic specification, however, they have a more budget-friendly price. They are supplied complete with a case and bow and are becoming increasingly popular within education circles.

Comparison of Stentor I / II and Forenza Violin Outfits

Stentor I – £110.00 Stentor II – £149.00 Forenza Prima 2 – £99.00
Solid, carved, spruce table Solid, carved, spruce table Solid, carved, spruce table
Solid, carved, maple back & ribs Solid, carved, maple back & ribs Solid, carved, maple back & ribs
Solid, carved, maple neck Solid, carved, maple neck Solid, carved, maple neck
Individual hand shaping & finish Individual hand shaping & finish Individual hand shaping & finish
Traditional inlaid purfling Traditional inlaid purfling Traditional inlaid purfling
Blacked rosewood fingerboard Ebony fingerboard Ebony fingerboard
Ebony top nut Ebony top nut Ebony top nut
Alloy tailpiece with integral adjusters Alloy tailpiece with integral adjusters Alloy tailpiece with integral adjusters
Adjustable nylon tailgut Adjustable nylon tailgut Adjustable nylon tailgut
Dark rosewood pegs Ebony pegs Ebony pegs
Teka pattern wood chin rest Teka pattern hardwood chin rest Teka pattern hardwood chin rest

Previous article

Nuvo Student Flutes

About the author

Diana was Normans Piano & Strings specialist for a number of years. She is a singer songwriter, plays piano and speaks 3 languages. In her spare time, she enjoys travelling as well as blogging about anything.

Related

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Comments

• Lauren @ Digital Pianos UK 17/05/2014 at 6:13 am

Great post! Well distinguish between Stentor & Forenza, but I think among both of them Stentor is really amazing. I would love to play it!

• john black 30/08/2015 at 11:14 am

Hi there
    As this is dated 2014 The price was £64.50.Now £79 Way above inflation. The question i would like to ask , how do you get the school discount

• Diana Stone 01/09/2015 at 8:43 am

Hi John,

Thanks for leaving a comment. Please contact our sales team on sales@normans.co.uk or 01283 535333 option 1 and we will be happy to offer you a discount.

Kind regards,

Diana

• Anna 03/10/2015 at 2:20 pm

Hello
    Are Stentor Harlequin violin series are good for the beginners?
    Which one is the most suitable for beginner: Stentor I, Stentor II, Stentor Harlequin or Forenza Uno. My daughter would like colour pink or purple, but I am not sure about suitability.

Anna

• Diana Stone 05/10/2015 at 9:19 am

Hi Anna,

Thanks for leaving a comment. I have just responded to the email you have sent me, however, if there is anything else I can do to help, please just let me know.

Many thanks,

Diana

• Michelle Cawkwell 04/10/2015 at 2:27 pm

Hi
    We need to find a violin for our daughter who will be taught at her school
    We’ve looked at the Stentor 11
    Do you offer schools discount? If so do I need to ask the school to order on our behalf?
    Kind regards
    Michelle

• Diana Stone 05/10/2015 at 9:17 am

Hi Michelle,

The Stentor II would certainly be a great violin for your daughter to start on. If you decide to buy the instrument through the school, you will only need to pay the ex.VAT amount which will save you 20% off the cost of the violin. Some schools don’t always offer this, so, if that is the case, please contact us directly on 01283 535333 option 1 or sales@normans.co.uk and we would be happy to offer you some discount off the inc.VAT price.

Best wishes,