Designed by Steven Mead
This new range of Denis Wick Ultra X mouthpieces has been designed by Steven Mead and is popular amongst all types of players. The Ultra mouthpieces have a slightly shallower cup than previous models with slight changes to the cup shape and maintaining the same outside shape and diameter as the no.4 of 26.00 mm. These mouthpieces give a real boost to the high register and provide very clear and focused low notes.
What Does Steven Mead say about the new mouthpieces
- You will certainly feel an improvement in stamina.
- You will find much greater clarity and stability in the high range. This means that not only are the high notes a lot more achievable, and for a longer time, but will also be much more controllable dynamically and tonally.
- It also helps to stabilise the embouchure, requiring less movement from the lips, especially with flexibility, slurring and playing right across the range.
- Low tones are also clearer and less ‘spread'.
- Articulation seems to be generally more reliable, especially at soft dynamics.
- It also enables you to play slightly longer phrases.
- For some, you may even feel that you don't need to practice quite so much to keep up your stamina. As a teacher I feel slightly uncomfortable about saying this because of the age-old ‘practice, practice, practice’ methodology! But now you can work on other things apart from stamina building!
- Diameter: 39.6 mm
- Cup Diameter: 26.00 mm
- Rim Width: 6.3 mm
- Bore Size: 7.40 mm
- Back Bore: V-type