Student Violins – Stentor Vs. Forenza
- With both brands being extremely popular among students, we are often asked why there is a price difference between Stentor and Forenza violins and what sets them apart.
- In a nutshell, both brands make high quality student specification violins. The difference in price comes from one company being a well-established brand with some manufacturing differences and the other a relative newcomer trying to establish itself in the market.
- Stentor are the market leaders in the manufacture of student string instruments. They are a British company established in 1895 and with a wholly owned factory in China.
- They are well known for their good tone and consistent quality. They have 3 levels of student violin, the Stentor Standard, Stentor I and Stentor II.
- Whilst the Standard model is acceptable to start on, most teachers would recommend the Stentor I as a minimum.
- The Forenza Prima 2 Violin (available in different sizes), has also got a fantastic specification, however, they have a more budget-friendly price. They are supplied complete with a case and bow and are becoming increasingly popular within education circles.
Comparison of Stentor I / II and Forenza Violin Outfits
|Stentor I - £110.00||Stentor II - £149.00||Forenza Prima 2 - £99.00|
|Solid, carved, spruce table||Solid, carved, spruce table||Solid, carved, spruce table|
|Solid, carved, maple back & ribs||Solid, carved, maple back & ribs||Solid, carved, maple back & ribs|
|Solid, carved, maple neck||Solid, carved, maple neck||Solid, carved, maple neck|
|Individual hand shaping & finish||Individual hand shaping & finish||Individual hand shaping & finish|
|Traditional inlaid purfling||Traditional inlaid purfling||Traditional inlaid purfling|
|Blacked rosewood fingerboard||Ebony fingerboard||Ebony fingerboard|
|Ebony top nut||Ebony top nut||Ebony top nut|
|Alloy tailpiece with integral adjusters||Alloy tailpiece with integral adjusters||Alloy tailpiece with integral adjusters|
|Adjustable nylon tailgut||Adjustable nylon tailgut||Adjustable nylon tailgut|
|Dark rosewood pegs||Ebony pegs||Ebony pegs|
|Teka pattern wood chin rest||Teka pattern hardwood chin rest||Teka pattern hardwood chin rest|